- The basics of marine radio operation. VHF Radio set controls. Routine voice procedures.’ Procedure’ words. Regulations and licensing.
- The correct Marine VHF frequencies (channels) to be used
- Maritime Distress, emergency and medical assistance procedures
- Making ship to shore telephone calls
- Digital Selective Calling (DSC) procedures – demonstrated and practiced using simulators
- Organisation and features of the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS)
- Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons (EPIRB)
- Search and Rescue Transponders (SART)
- Protection of the marine environment.
(Note that it isnt possible to cover every item in one weekend. The instructor will discuss requirements with you at the beginning of the course)