It was introduced in April 2012. It applies to commercial endorsements on the following certificates:
- Yachtmaster Ocean, Yachtmaster Offshore, Yachtmaster Coastal
- Day Skipper Practical (Tidal)
- Day Skipper Practical (Non-Tidal supported by Day Skipper Shorebased
- Advanced Powerboat Course Completion Certificate (Issued prior to 1 Jan 2005)
- Powerboat Advanced Certificate of Competence
- Powerboat Level 2
You should complete this course before you apply for a new commercial endorsement or to renew your endorsement. The course is run by your chosen training centre (eg Elite Sailing) and delivered on-line through the RYA Interactive website.
The course explains the legal framework for commercial maritime operations – regardless of the types of vessels involved. It cannot cover the specific circumstances and regulations for every type of operation. But it will enable you to understand and carry out your duty of care and help you to operate legally and safely.
The course is in 4 parts:
- Commercial Environment – showing how you fit into the professional maritime world.
- People – explaining the importance of correct manning, updated skills, and the safe management of commercial vessels.
- Vessel – teaching the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures.
- Purpose – making sure that your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
Following the 4 modules there is a mock assessment so you can check you are ready before moving on to the final graded assessment. The course should take around 8 hours to work through the 4 modules. The dreaded end of course assessment is in 2 sections taking 2.5 hours overall.
How to take the PPR Course
Whilst the course is delivered on line via the RYA Interactive website, you will need to choose a participating RYA training centre that can provide instructor support for the course. We hope that you will choose Elite Sailing as your training centre and be assured that we will do whatever we can to help you get through the course successfully. You will be able to get help from our instructors via email or telephone.
To enrol on the course:
Complete and send us the email enquiry form below, indicating that you wish to book a course. We just need your full name, email address and a telephone number.
We will send you a link to follow to our booking website where you can complete further details on line and make a payment on-line or by telephone.
Alternatively you can just call us and make a payment on the telephone.
When the payment is completed you will receive an automated confirmation mail. We will then create an account for you on the RYA Interactive website, add the PPR Course to your area and send you a follow-up email with a link and login details to access the site and course. This process will usually be completed the same day but if you call or email in the evening or at a weekend it could take until the end of the following working day.
You follow the link to the RYA Interactive site, login and gain immediate access to your course.
If you need assistance please email firstname.lastname@example.org and put PPR Course in the title or call 01634 890512.